When people think about remodeling their home or just sprucing up their space, one common idea is to replace the flooring. There are few home improvements as impactful as new flooring. Changing your old, worn, dirty, or outdated flooring material will significantly improve the appeal and style of every room in your house. Whether you’re just replacing the carpet or laying brand-new hardwood, your new flooring will make your home look and feel amazing.
Here at GreatBuildz, a free service that connects homeowners with reliable flooring contractors in Los Angeles, Orange, and Ventura Counties, we speak to homeowners every day about hiring a reliable residential flooring company– here are some tips to get you started.
Why should you use a professional flooring company?
An advantage of dealing with a flooring installer is that they can assist you in selecting the most appropriate flooring for your demands and budget. Additionally, they can offer guidance on how to care for and maintain your flooring over time. In addition, a reputable flooring contractor will have the necessary materials and equipment to install your floors properly and will work promptly and efficiently.
A further advantage of working with a flooring contractor is that they can assist you throughout the entire process. For instance, they can assist with the removal and disposal of old flooring, the preparation of the subfloor, and the installation of new flooring. This can save you a great deal of time and effort and ensure that the task is completed correctly the first time around.
How to find a trustworthy flooring company near me?
There are a few things to consider while searching for a flooring company to guarantee that you pick a trustworthy and qualified contractor:
- Look for a contractor who has experience installing the type of flooring you’ve selected. They should have a thorough understanding of the product, how to correctly install it, and how to address any potential installation-related concerns.
- Make certain that the flooring contractor is licensed and insured. Ask to view their credentials and verify that their license is active and in good standing with the CSLB.
- Request references and review the installer’s portfolio of completed projects to assess the quality of their work. Additionally, you can read internet reviews and ratings to determine the quality of their work and customer service.
- Ensure that the flooring company’s installer is easy to speak with and that they comprehend your preferences and needs. They should be able to offer you a detailed estimate and project timeframe.
- Warranty: Inquire if the contractor offers a warranty on their work, as well as whether the materials have a warranty. This might provide peace of mind knowing that your floors are covered in the event of an issue.
At GreatBuildz, we vet every contractor we work with through a thorough ten-point screening process…learn more about how we vet contractors.
Does a flooring company require a license?
Flooring contractors must have a C-15 flooring and floor covering license from the California Contractors State License Board in California (CSLB). This is applicable to both commercial and residential flooring projects. Contractors must meet the CSLB’s education and experience standards in order to receive a license. In addition to carrying workers’ compensation insurance, qualified contractors must also pass a criminal background check.
How can I select the best flooring material for me?
Consider the purpose of the room or area where the flooring will be installed. For instance, a kitchen and a bathroom will require flooring that is more durable and water-resistant than a bedroom.
Certain flooring materials are more resilient than others. Luxury vinyl plank (LVP), hardwood, and tile are noted for their durability, whereas carpet and linoleum are less so.
Some flooring materials are less difficult to maintain than others. Carpets will require regular vacuuming and spot-cleaning while harder materials will require mopping and sweeping, etc.
The style you’re trying to achieve in your home will also dictate the appropriate flooring material for you.
How long does it take to install flooring?
The time required to install new flooring can vary based on several variables, including the type of flooring being installed, the amount of the area being covered, the skill level of the flooring company, and the project’s level of difficulty.
For instance, installing carpet or laminate floors could take one or two days, whereas installing a more challenging material like hardwood or tile can take up to a week or more.
How do I prepare for the installation of new flooring?
Clear the space: Remove all furniture, rugs, and ornamental items from the space before installing new flooring. This will assist the flooring company’s job and protect your belongings from potential damage.
Existing flooring must be removed before the new flooring is installed if it is to be removed. This stage can add time to the project, so make sure to plan accordingly. It’s likely that your flooring company will remove and dispose of your existing flooring unless you agree otherwise in advance.
Before installing the new flooring, evaluate the room for any problems such as uneven subfloors or moisture problems. These issues should be resolved prior to installing the new flooring; so make sure that these repairs are included in your flooring company’s bid.
If the new flooring is made of hardwood, it might need to be acclimated to the room before installation. It may need to be in the room for at least two to three days prior to installation. Wood is a natural product and may shrink or expand depending on the temperature and humidity of your home. You want this to occur in advance of the installation, or you could have issues later. Ask your flooring installer about the need for acclimatization.
If you cannot move significant goods such as appliances or heavy furniture, you should arrange for the flooring installer to do it or hire a moving company.
How can I know whether my flooring was correctly installed?
To assess whether your new flooring was correctly laid, you should look for certain indicators. Among the things to watch for:
- The flooring must be flat and uniform, with no dips or lumps.
- The flooring’s borders should be flush and tight against walls and other surfaces.
- The flooring should have straight lines and no pieces that are crooked or uneven.
- There should be no loose or creaky spots where the flooring is attached to the subfloor.
- The finish should be uniform and devoid of bubbles or ripples.
- With tile, the finished surface should be reasonably smooth to the touch without any sharp edges.
When it comes to finding the best flooring company for your project – GreatBuildz is simplifying the contractor search. GreatBuildz is a free service that connects homeowners in Los Angeles, Orange County, Ventura & San Diego with reliable, thoroughly screened contractors and provides project support from start to finish.
In Southern California, Call now (818.317.3567) to chat with a real person about your next renovation project or visit our website for more information: www.greatbuildz.com