Updating your kitchen can be quite the process, especially if you’re on a tight budget. IKEA is a great solution for people looking for new kitchen cabinets that are as functional and stylish as they are affordable.
If you’re deciding whether or not to buy your kitchen cabinets from IKEA, this article is for you. We’ll explore the pros and cons of IKEA kitchen cabinets, as well as other considerations to keep in mind, such as why it can be helpful to hire a kitchen contractor to install IKEA cabinets.
Here at GreatBuildz, a free service that connects homeowners in Los Angeles, Orange County, Ventura or San Diego with reliable kitchen contractors, we speak to homeowners every day about how to save costs with a cabinetry project, including hiring a contractor to install IKEA kitchen cabinets. Here are some considerations, ideas, and tips to get you started.
Pros of IKEA Kitchen Cabinets
IKEA kitchen cabinets are a great option for a lot of people, offering several benefits worth considering. Some of the advantages of IKEA kitchen cabinets include:
- IKEA kitchen costs – Compared to other cabinetry options, IKEA offers affordable prices, which can be highly appealing to those on a budget
- Customization – IKEA cabinets come in a wide range of different styles and colors, allowing homeowners to customize their kitchens to suit their needs
- Easy installation – IKEA cabinets are specifically designed to be easy to assemble and install, even without a full tool kit or much DIY experience
- Sustainability – IKEA strives to be as sustainable as possible, reducing waste in the production process and using renewable materials whenever they can
Cons of IKEA Kitchen Cabinets
While IKEA kitchen cabinets have a lot of benefits to offer, they’re not the best choice for everybody and every circumstance. Some disadvantages worth considering include:
- Limited options – While they do allow for some customization, IKEA cabinets can’t offer the same flexibility and personalization as one would receive by custom-building a new set of cabinets
- Assembly – IKEA cabinets may be intended for DIY, but not everybody will feel comfortable with executing the installation process successfully and securely
- Quality concerns – While they are generally relatively durable, IKEA kitchen cabinets can sometimes lead to quality issues such as cracking and chipping
- Limited warranty – IKEA offers a limited warranty on kitchen cabinetry that lacks the comprehensiveness that other companies may offer
Are IKEA Kitchen Cabinets Right For You?
Taking into consideration the pros and cons we’ve explored above, it becomes clear that IKEA kitchen cabinets are right for some people but not for others. If all of the following points apply to you, it’s probably a sign that IKEA cabinets are an option worth considering. If not, you may want to look at other options.
- You are on a tight budget and looking for a cost-effective cabinetry option
- You’re comfortable with DIY and doing some installation on your own (or you’re willing to hire a contractor to help you)
- You have a standard-sized kitchen
- You like modern, contemporary designs
- You don’t expect to be using your kitchens for heavy, intensive use
Why You Need a Contractor to Help Install IKEA Kitchen Cabinets
While IKEA kitchen cabinets are intended to be installed easily and can often be done DIY, it can be very helpful to hire a contractor to make sure that the installation process goes smoothly.
Good contractors have years of experience that they can bring to the table to make sure that the installation is done correctly the first time. This way, you can feel confident your cabinets are stable and secure and won’t require fixing later on. An IKEA installer can also use their own tools and equipment and save you significantly on time and money.
Additionally, it’s worth noting that contractors may be able to make up for some of the disadvantages of IKEA kitchen cabinets. For example, some of them may offer a warranty on their work, which can make up for IKEA’s lack of a comprehensive warranty. And they might even be able to customize and modify your IKEA cabinets so that you get a more personalized, bespoke result without going full-on custom-build.
Additional Considerations For IKEA Kitchen Cabinets
If you’re leaning toward the option of buying IKEA kitchen cabinets, here are a few more considerations that are worth keeping in mind when selecting and installing cabinets.
- Countertops – If you want to create a matching, coherent look, you can also buy countertops from IKEA to pair with your cabinets
- Lighting – Good lighting is important to a functional, visually appealing kitchen. Under-cabinet lighting is a great way to make your IKEA kitchen cabinets stand out.
- Design – IKEA cabinets come in a variety of colors, finishes, and hardware styles. When choosing your selection, consider the overall style and design of your kitchen and home to ensure your cabinets complement them.
- Appliances – It’s easy to get caught up in design, but don’t forget to think about the more practical side of things. Make sure that your cabinets can accommodate the number, type, and size of the appliances you use in your kitchen.
- Plumbing and electric – If you’re remodeling your kitchen, it’s important to make sure that your plumbing and electrical systems support the layout and fixtures you’re choosing.
As you can see, there are a lot of considerations that go into choosing and installing IKEA cabinets for your kitchen. It’s natural to want some extra professional help to make sure that you have the best results possible for a stylish, functional kitchen. An IKEA contractor can be the perfect solution for bridging the cost-effectiveness of an IKEA kitchen with the support, professionalism, and experience of outside help.
At GreatBuildz, we know that the right contractor is essential to a smooth, positive remodel process and a stellar result. Call us at (818.317.3567) or visit our website to be connected with a trustworthy, experienced contractor in Southern California for your IKEA kitchen remodel.