For most modern homeowners, a master bedroom is a major must-have. But many Orange County homes weren’t originally built to include true master bedroom suites, which typically include a private bedroom, a luxurious bathroom, and spacious walk-in closets. So perhaps it comes as no surprise that the master suite addition has become a popular home improvement project among Orange County homeowners.
Here at GreatBuildz, a free service that connects homeowners in Los Angeles, Orange County, Ventura & San Diego with reliable general contractors, we help homeowners with all sorts of remodeling projects!
In this article, we’ll be covering everything you need to know about master bedroom additions in Orange County.
How much does it cost to add a bedroom?
Your home addition costs will vary depending on the size of your project, whether you are building a single-story addition or a second-floor addition, and the types of materials you choose. Generally speaking, master suite additions in Orange County tend to range between $100,000 and $200,000.
Most homeowners choose to create a master suite addition between 400 square feet and 500 square feet — sometimes going even larger. We’ve seen them as small as 300 square feet, though these spaces tend to serve as guest rooms.
Master suite floor plans include a mix of “dry space” — the bedroom itself as well as the closet — and “wet space” — the bathroom and, on occasion, laundry areas — and it’s the latter that will drive up the master bedroom costs because they require new water and waste lines and a number of fixtures including tile, tub, and vanity.
The best way to get an accurate estimate of the cost to add a bathroom to your home is to discuss your project and plans with a few general contractors specializing in this type of room addition. Not only will these pros have a handle on current labor and material costs, but they’ll be able to advise you on which features will best fit your aesthetic, your lifestyle, and your budget.
Which components have the biggest effect on master bedroom addition costs?
Even the simplest home addition will require:
- Rebar and concrete foundation
- Wall and roof framing
- Stucco or other exterior material
- Electrical wiring
- Plumbing (water and waste lines)
- Roofing material
These generally are fixed costs, though you might see some additional expenses if, say, it’s necessary to upgrade your electrical panel to accommodate new electrical circuits. Additionally, if your home is on a slab — as opposed to raised — foundation, it will be more difficult to connect plumbing and your costs will rise accordingly.
Other variables that can affect the cost of your master suite addition include:
- HVAC: If your current system can’t accommodate the additional square footage, you might need to replace it with a larger system. Another option is to install a ‘ductless’ HVAC system solely for the master suite.
- Windows: Window costs vary, but you’ll likely want to choose windows in the same style as your home’s existing windows.
- Doors (interior/exterior/closet): Interior and closet doors won’t drive up your costs too much. However, patio or French doors leading outside can get expensive depending on your selection.
- Flooring: Your costs will vary greatly depending on whether you choose a less expensive material like carpet or vinyl plank versus a more expensive option such as hardwood, tile, or stone.
- Closet cabinets/organizers: You can purchase closet organization kits from home improvement stores like Ikea or Home Depot, or you might hire a craftsman to build a custom system for you. Costs for closet cabinets and organizers can range from $1,000 for pre-fab units to well over $10,000 for a high-end, custom product.
- Lighting: Recessed lighting is relatively inexpensive, costing between $100 and $200 per light installed. Of course, there are other fixture styles available, and prices vary greatly.
- Tile: Because installation is labor intensive, tile — whether it’s a classic porcelain tile or a high-end material glass or marble — is expensive. Choosing larger tiles can help cut costs, as these take less time to install. Generally, tile materials cost $1 to $10 per square foot to install regardless of the style you choose because it’s labor-intensive.
- Bathroom cabinets and vanities: Bathroom vanities are available in standard sizes and classic styles online and at home improvement stores. For a master bathroom, most people choose a double vanity between 60” and 72” in size. These typically range in price between $1,000 and $2,000 and include the vanity cabinet, countertop, and sink. If you need a vanity built to nonstandard dimensions, your contractor will have to have it custom-built. Of course, this means you have more options in terms of countertops and sink styles. In these instances, costs range between $2,000 and upwards of $5,000.
- Bathroom fixtures: You can find inexpensive faucets and shower hardware at retailers like Lowe’s which usually come in basic styles and finishes. For a higher-end product, there are brands like Ferguson or Pfister — but they are significantly more expensive.
What’s the process involved in building a master suite addition?
You’ve researched master bedroom layouts and determined how you will finance the addition. The next step is to connect with both an architect and a licensed general contractor.
The architect’s plans probably will cost between $8,000 and $15,000, and he or she will be responsible for submitting plans to the city to ensure they are compliant with local building codes.
The contractor, meanwhile, will give you a clear understanding of what to expect regarding the construction itself. His or her bid — which should be submitted in writing — should outline not only an itemized breakdown of project costs but also the full scope of who is responsible for sourcing specific materials and a timeline for completing the project.
Your contractor will be responsible for procuring all necessary building permits, hiring any subcontractors such as plumbers and electricians, managing the construction crew, and seeing that all demolition and debris removal takes place in a timely and tidy fashion.
Once the contractor’s team begins construction, it usually takes between 3 and 4 months to complete a master bedroom project.
How can I find a good home addition contractor?
In Los Angeles County alone, there are more than 20,000 licensed remodeling contractors. You could spend countless hours asking for recommendations, scouring online reviews, and sending query emails. But at GreatBuildz, we make it easy to find the right general contractor for your project. Just call and tell us about your master suite addition and we’ll match you with three Orange County contractors specializing in this kind of work.
Every general contractor in the GreatBuildz network has passed our rigorous 10-point screening process. And to ensure professionalism and reliability, we require each one to sign our 20-point code of conduct. We work with only the best — so you can, too.
When it comes to remodeling or adding space to your home, you shouldn’t have to go it alone – GreatBuildz can help simplify your renovation experience.
GreatBuildz is a free service that connects homeowners in Los Angeles, Orange County, Ventura or San Diego with reliable, thoroughly screened general contractors and provides project support from start to finish. Call now (818.317.3567) to chat with a real person about your remodeling project or visit our website for more information: www.greatbuildz.com