If you’re planning a backyard makeover or a patio remodel, you’ll need to find a reliable, local backyard contractor for the job. After researching some design and layout ideas, you’ll also want to consider the costs of your makeover to make sure it’s aligned with your budget. And once you narrow down the scope of your backyard or patio remodel, it’s time to start getting a few estimates from contractors.
Here at GreatBuildz, we speak with clients every day who need to find a great backyard contractor or patio contractor in Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura & San Diego Counties.
GreatBuildz is a free service that connects homeowners with reliable, pre-screened contractors, then provides ongoing project support to ensure a stress-free experience.
How Do I Find the Best Backyard Contractors Near Me?
Define Your Work
Start off your backyard or patio project on the right foot by identifying your objectives. Goals about the design, budget, timelines, and construction scope will assist in laying the groundwork for all future progress. This will also help you choose the most qualified backyard contractor for the project.
Even if only in a general sense, defining your project helps you get much more out of your interactions with contractors. Creating low-maintenance, eco-friendly, or user-friendly backyard designs within a specified timeline are examples of goals.
Related: 20 Tips to Ensure a Positive Remodeling Experience
Find Backyard and Patio Contractors
In Los Angeles, there are many patio and backyard contractors. A search for backyard contractors near me will uncover a multitude of options. However, because these contractors cannot all be great, you cannot choose the first contractor you see. Therefore, it is recommended to begin by compiling a list of three to five contractors to compare and evaluate. An even better option is to ask for referrals from your network or use a free contractor-matching service, such as GreatBuildz.
Investigate Each Backyard Renovation Company
Now is the time to investigate each contractor on your list to determine whether they meet your requirements. Consider their website and internet testimonials.
Additionally, you can visit sites such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB) for reviews, ratings, and resolved/unresolved grievances against the contractor in question. BBB is categorized by location, making it simple to research prospective Los Angeles Backyard contractors. Additionally, you must be cautious about picking the right backyard contractors by assessing the following things:
- How long have they been in business and how many landscaping projects have they completed?
- Past projects: View their past work on the portfolio area of their website. See if you like what they’ve already accomplished.
- What is the contractor’s reputation in the marketplace? Are people expressing positive or negative things about them? Check their ratings and testimonials for more information.
- Reviews: To read what others have to say about a contractor, search for the contractor’s name plus terms such as “review,” “scam,” “legitimate,” etc. Review sites like BBB, Yelp, Google Maps, and Facebook are also excellent resources.
- Remove from the list any backyard contractors who do not meet your requirements. Then, contact the remaining candidates to discover more about their credentials, background, and what sets them distinct.
Schedule an In-Person Meeting with Backyard Contractors
A one-on-one meeting is the most effective technique to get insightful knowledge about a backyard renovation company. You can observe not only their skills but also their communication and interest. And given that you only have a few companies to interview, it shouldn’t be difficult.
Discuss your issues and ask clarifying questions. You can also learn how they manage projects, address homeowner concerns and conflicts, interact with clients, and determine costs. Use open-ended inquiries to engage the contractor in conversation. Here are a few things you hope to discover during your in-person meeting.
- Request their license number and verify that it is valid and in good standing.
- If they possess insurance: They should have general liability insurance to protect you and your property in the event of an accident. Additionally, they should have worker’s compensation insurance to shield them from liability if someone is injured in their backyard.
- Check their building permits obtained in Los Angeles during the past two years: This ensures that the contractor is familiar with the local construction codes and permit procedures.
- References: Contacts of previous clients should be contacted and asked about the process, timeframes, budget, professionalism, and final result. Determine whether they would recommend the contractor and whether they would do business with them again.
- The best Los Angeles backyard contractors will guarantee their work. Many will issue a warranty within their work agreement. Obviously, a longer warranty is preferable.
- Subcontractors: Since most contractors do not have all types of employees on staff, it is best to determine who they will hire as subcontractors and for what tasks.
Related: GreatBuildz Top Rated Contractors
Select a Contractor and Enter Into a Contract
You should now be able to differentiate between the prospects and select the ideal backyard renovation company. Now that you’ve evaluated their reputation, work ethic, and attitude, it’s time to change your outdoor living space into something both attractive and functional.
Before you start your project, we recommend having a detailed conversation with your contractor to iron out the details of your project. This guide we put together is a great resource to get the conversation going: https://www.greatbuildz.com/guides/30-things-discuss-contractor-before-remodel/
Related: How To Spot a Bad Contractor Before It’s Too Late
What Kinds of Contractors Do Backyard Makeovers and Patio Remodels?
There are many different types of backyard makeovers and patio remodels. And each one might require a different type of contractor. Let’s go through the backyard renovation contractor options to help you determine which type is right for you:
- Landscaper Contractors possess a C-27 Landscaping Contractor license issued by the Contractors State License Board. Their job involves designing features such as planting lawns, gardens, and shrubs or installing sprinklers, walkways, water features, etc. They can install hardscaping features such as plazas, pathways, trellises, gazebos, arbors, fences, retaining walls, fountains, lights, sculptures, irrigation pipes, etc.
- The best landscape contractors in Los Angeles have experience and awareness of local factors, such as soil and weather, that might impact a landscaping job. In addition, they are familiar with local architecture and can use this knowledge to create a stunning backyard or front yard.
- A swimming pool contractor in Los Angeles has a C-53 building license from the CSLB. This is the right choice of contractor if the major feather of your backyard makeover is a pool or spa (or both). The swimming pool contractor can usually manage every part of a backyard renovation which includes a pool…ie, the pool equipment and plumbing/electrical & the hardscape around the pool. This contractor can usually also arrange for subcontractors to perform projects including landscape, walls, fences, etc.
Backyard Contractor or Patio Contractor (General Contractor)
- If your backyard makeover plans include major structural improvements such as a patio cover, trellis, outdoor kitchen or BBQ, deck, pergola, etc. the appropriate contractor for this project is a general contractor with a B-license from the State of California. General Contractors are licensed to do major structural projects that generally include “multiple trades”. For example, they are qualified to build an outdoor kitchen because it includes the following skilled trades: masonry, stucco, plumbing, electrical & framing.
- Note: Some general contractors choose to not perform “backyard projects” and limit their work to inside the home. Those that do take on exterior projects, can usually perform and oversee every element of a backyard makeover.
Backyard Design & Layout
Its no simple task to decide what you want to do in your backyard and how to design a new plan. You may have an idea for the general amenities you’d like to have, but its hard for the average person to visualize how to create that perfect backyard oasis. For this reason, you’ll need to work with a professional with experience in outdoor plans and design. Your outdoor contractor may have someone in house or a consultant that can create plan options for you. Or you can hire a professional landscape architect to work on your design. The good news is outdoor backyard plans are not nearly as technical and involved as more renovation or addition plans, so the timing and costs should be reasonably low.
Backyard Renovation Costs
Some people are surprised to find that backyard remodel costs can sometimes be even higher than the cost of renovating the inside of their home. It’s important to do a little research upfront to determine the various project costs in your area…here is a blog all about outdoor remodel costs in Los Angeles and Southern California.
Here is a list of potential backyard projects from most to least expensive:
- Water element: Pool, spa, pond, or other water feature.
- Features: outdoor kitchen or built-in BBQ, firepit, fireplace, pizza oven, heaters, tv, etc.
- Seating: patios, decks, pergolas, or patio covers.
- Privacy: fences, walls, gates, etc.
- Landscaping: lawn, trees, shrubs, ground cover, and planting.
GreatBuildz is a free service that connects homeowners in Los Angeles, Orange County, Ventura & San Diego with reliable, thoroughly screened patio and backyard contractors and provides project support from start to finish.
Call now (818.317.3567) to chat with a real person about your next renovation project or visit our website for more information: www.greatbuildz.com