An accessory dwelling unit (ADU) is a small, self-contained living space that is located on the same property as a single-family home. These units, which can take the form of garages, cottages, basement apartments, and more, are becoming increasingly popular as a way to provide more affordable housing options in dense urban areas like Los Angeles. They’re great as a space for a child, parent, or guest to stay in, or as a way to generate extra income through rentals.
If you want to enjoy the benefits of an ADU, it’s important to hire a reliable, reputable ADU company to help you build it. In addition to executing the build, they will be able to make sure you are following the necessary regulations and codes. Read on to learn about how to find a great ADU company, especially in Southern California and Los Angeles areas.
Here at GreatBuildz, a free service that connects homeowners with reliable ADU contractors in Los Angeles, Orange, and Ventura Counties, we speak to homeowners every day about hiring an reliable ADU company– here are some tips to get you started.
How Do You Find the Best ADU Company?
There are several important steps to follow when searching for ADU companies. These include:
- Research – Use the internet to look for ADU companies in your area and gather information about their services and experience. It may also be helpful to speak to anybody you know who has already built an ADU to see if they can recommend somebody.
- Read reviews – Look for customer reviews online to get an idea of the quality of work and customer service provided by the company.
- Ask for references – A reputable ADU company should be able to provide references from past customers.
- Compare ADU costs – Get estimates from multiple companies and compare the costs of their services to make sure the contractors you are considering can meet your ADU budget.
- Check for licenses and insurance – Make sure the companies you are considering are properly licensed and insured and able to comply with all ADU laws and local ADU ordinances.
- Schedule a consultation – Once you think you’ve found an ADU company you want to work with, a consultation is a great way to get a feel for their expertise and communication skills.
What Should I Look For in a Good Los Angeles ADU Company?
There are countless ADU companies in Los Angeles, and it can be difficult to know how to evaluate your options to identify the most reliable, trustworthy ones. Here are some qualities that we recommend looking for when vetting ADU companies.
- Experience – First and foremost, look for a company that has experience building ADUs in the Los Angeles area and is familiar with the local zoning laws and building codes. You don’t want your ADU to be the first one your contractor has ever worked on.
- Licensing and insurance – Make sure the company is properly licensed and insured to work in the state of California.
- Quality of work – Check out references, reviews, and portfolios in order to find a company that has a good reputation for building high-quality ADUs.
- Communication and customer service – Choose a company that is easy to communicate with and responsive to your needs. It’s important to feel comfortable working with your ADU company, which is why it’s best to speak to and consult with them before signing anything.
- Permit and plans – Make sure the company can assist with obtaining the necessary permits and creating plans that meet the local requirements.
- Design and customization – Look for a company that can work with you to design and customize the ADU to your specific needs and preferences.
- Timeline – Consider the company’s estimated timeframe for completing the project, and whether they have the ability to meet your deadline.
- Warranty and maintenance – Consider the company’s policy on warranty and maintenance for the ADU after it is built.
Should I Pick the Cheapest Los Angeles ADU Company?
Building an ADU can be expensive, and it’s natural to keep costs low. However, it’s important to be cautious about choosing the company that gives you the lowest quote. An unusually low price might indicate that the company is using lower-quality materials or otherwise cutting corners. This means that, while you’re paying less now, you might actually incur more costs later on with repairs.
Cheaper companies might also be less experienced, meaning they may not have all of the information and skills they need to do things efficiently and effectively. This could lead to the project taking longer than your timeline or running into legal issues with permits and regulations.
Remember, an ADU is a long-term investment and something that you will have forever once it is built. It’s best to do things right the first time in order to have an easy, timely building process and high-quality, durable results with good workmanship.
If you’re having a hard time determining a budget and calculating the costs, don’t hesitate to ask the companies you’re vetting for a detailed estimate with a breakdown of the materials and labor costs. This will help you understand exactly what your money is going to, which may make it easier for you to approve the necessary budget.
What Should I Ask an ADU Company Near Me?
During your consultation with the ADU companies you’re considering hiring, we recommend asking the following questions:
- How long have you been building ADUs in the Los Angeles area?
- Are you familiar with the zoning laws and building codes in Los Angeles that apply to ADUs?
- Are you licensed and insured to work in California?
- Can you assist with obtaining the necessary permits and approvals?
- Can you walk me through the process of building an ADU?
- Can you provide references from past ADU projects you have completed?
- Can you provide detailed cost estimates for the project, including all materials and labor?
- How do you ensure that the project will be completed on time and on a budget?
- Can you provide me with a list of subcontractors and suppliers you will be working with?
- Can you provide a timeline for the completion of the project?
- How do you approach the design, layout, and customization of ADUs?
- How do you communicate with clients throughout the building process?
- What is your policy on warranty and maintenance for the ADU
The answers to these questions should help you get a good sense of whether or not the company is one you want to work with.
Need a head start with finding the best company to build your ADU? Call (818.317.3567) or visit our website to be matched with pre-vetted ADU contractors in the Los Angeles area.